Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Module 1: Emerging Technology


Currently, I think of emerging technology a period of when users do not yet consider the technology essential to their everyday life or the cost of that technology to be worth purchasing for their every day life. (Coleman, 2013.) Also, emerging technology is based on the user and their environment. In addition, it is up to various users to advocate for the use of different types of technology to be purchased for their classrooms. 

The following are the definition of the individuals in our resources for this week. Each individual's definition have merit.

 "Dr Soloway (n.d.) described an emerging technology as technology that has yet to cross the chasm from early adopter to early majority. That phase is the period where the cost of the technology is high, and users do not yet consider the technology essential to their everyday life. By using an example of a prototype he developed, Dr. Thornburg (2009) described an emerging technology as something that has just been developed. By the time a technology hits the mainstream it is no longer emerging. Rogers (2003) defined emerging technology as an innovation that is considered new to a person a group of people. The perceived newness describes an innovation".

My original answer to what emerging technology is that it is determined in different ways, one way would be when and how it is introduced into an environment and how it is used in that environment. (2003). My definition of emerging technology is defined by the same criteria, when it is introduced and how it is introduced into an environment.  Also, emerging technology can also constitute on whether it is suited for the environment in which it is introduced to.  For an example, an area that has no internet or cell service would find a cell phone interesting but not necessary to their way of life. In this post I continue to abide by the decision;

My classmates provided interesting ideas as to why they followed Dr. Thornburg's definition of emerging technology. For some this is true, however, I have always considered myself technology wise and hang out with people who use the most recent technology.  The use of the cell phone is an example; The first portable phone I saw that was used by a private citizen was in the early 1990s.  A co worker had one in her car that her husband insisted that she have in case of an emergency.  We all thought it was cool and exciting.  However, she said that in the two years she had it she used it once.  In the year 2000, she had the form of blue tooth in her car that connected to her cell phone and  I can see why many people would follow Dr. Thornburg's definition of emerging technology, because for the most part by the time most people use technology it is already mainstreamed.

However, I still think it varies with each individuals.  In my family for instance, I use technology daily and in my professional life, I have used it since the end of the 1980s.  But in my family,  I am one of the last in my family to try something new.  My parents, sibling and their spouses, all had cell phones before I purchased my first. (It was a prepaid).  The same is true for the computer and tablets.  However, I was the first in my family to have an eReader because I love to read.  The portability of the device was great.  in my professional life, though I used computers, iPods and desktops regularly.  I was and am well versed in in using assistive technology with my students.  Devices that helped them to write, (various software) talk, and use technology.  Items like Big Macs, touch screens, voice operated software and touch operated devices for communications. 

Now I look at those items and think, what a waste of money, especially since computers, tablets and cell phones have touch screens.  Not only do they have touch screens, but apps can be downloaded to do everything that the previous forms of technology used as assistive technology.  The problem, most of the money allocated for technology is utilized for the general education classroom, rather than divided among the teachers to decide their use .  In our building, I begged, pleaded and bullied everyone to get the technology in my classroom. I was the first to use iPad 1 in  my classroom as center  I have and use more technology than anyone, but I have also written four grants this year in order to get those items for my classroom.  In addition, I have two pending approval.  

So I consider myself an early adopter, but it depends on the environment that I am in and the potential use of the technology. Some items, such as tablets and ipods, I have used in the classroom since early 2000 because of their portability for my students.  Other items, such as touch screen adaptations and software I continue to use, along with apps, for my students because of their convenience for testing and data collection.  However, in my personal life I have a tablet that works consistently and waiting to purchase a desktop and laptop because the two I currently owned have died.  These items were purchased in 2003 and were updated each year.  They simply wore out.  My definition of emerging technology continues to favor Dr. Rogers definition of emerging technology. 

Reference:

Coleman, M. (2013). Module 1 Discussion 1 on Emerging Technology. retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2643401_1%26url%3D

Rogers, E. M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.). New York, NY: Free Press.

Soloway, E. (n.d.). Emerging vs. emerged technologies [Audio Podcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_2643401_1%26url%3D

Thornburg, D. D. (2009). When is a technology emergent? Lake Barrington, IL: Thornburg Center for Space Exploration.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment