Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 19, 2013

Module Four Blog Second Life


 
The second life is 3D imaging.  It brings out the picture into the real world.  An individual can dress up a doll online.  This type of technology reminds me of the paper dolls that I used to dress up when I was a child.  The materials were paper and put together manually.  The second life puts the paper doll online and using a cursor the user can put together a pretty looking doll. The user can turn the “paper” doll around put various outfits together and then finally make the doll static and take a picture of the doll. 

The only way I can see this technology changing or being replaced is having the images “shoot out”.  The picture is generated and put out there in the same manner similar to a spotlight.     

My iPad has a couple of apps with this technology and I use it to help the students understand that people have eyes, nose, mouth and that all of this part of the human being.  This is a way for students learn that people have a various ways of communicating to other people. The student’s learn that there is nonverbal way of communicating.  In addition, it is a way to help student different parts of community or site.  It provides a way to have a virtual field trip.

5 comments:

  1. but did you know avatars in SL run, dance, swim, swing, and (drum roll please) fly? We are much more than paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a look at my blog and the national geographic article. I watched Taboo and this was on there. Really it was strange to see people actually living online and keeping their real lives going at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    My district has an island on Second Life called Second Life Educators of Escambia County (SLEEC). I have not had the pleasure of joining this group. Hopefully by this fall I will review the island and make my decision. I have heard about all the flying and dancing but not the swimming.
    Brigit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    Do you think that Second Life could possibly replace the traditional classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,

    It's interesting that you analogize SL with paper dolls we made as kids! I've never thought of dressing up an avatar in that way.I agree with Durff though: SL is soooo much more, but that's a good comparison to what can be done to change it's visual features.(-:

    ReplyDelete