Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 11, 2013

EDUC 8848: Module Three

Rhymes of History:  Lessons of the Past; Applied to the Future!

Dr. Thornburg stated that the future technology will be like the present technology only with cooler tools.  This so true in many different ways.  As a student in the late seventies and early eighties, I never thought the day would come when I carry an eReader (Kindle), a iPad, and cellular phone in my purse everyday.  Now I think twice about leaving my iPad and Kindle at home.  (I can always find a phone)

The iPad that I use today has replaced the electric typewriter that my mother insisted I learn how to keyboard.  The eReader replaced all of the books that I used to hide inside my textbooks in school.  The difference between the two decades are that the my Kindle, iPad and cellphone are much lighter than the items that I had in those days.

For example: My electric typewriter was relatively light and portable, however, I needed whiteout for the mistakes that I would make on my paper.  The paper had to physically inserted into the device.  I would use reams of paper to write papers, stories or whatever, but the final outcome still looked better than my handwritten papers.  Plus, thanks to my mother's insistence I was a good typist.  

Next, the electric typewriter became a word processor that I could not live without.  The word processor would allow me to type anything, correct mistakes, and save it in the processor.  It was great!  It was also bulky and heavy.  I could only use it in one place at a time.  It was not feasible to carry it with me, like an electric typewriter.  However, myself and many other  people used both items interchangeable at the time.

The laptop!  Well, I couldn't wait for the laptop, oh my!  I still use it, for many of the same things I use my iPad.  In fact before my laptop died, I would carry both my iPad and laptop with me and use both much in the same manner as I used my electric typewriter and word processor.  The iPad is easier to stick in my purse, while I do miss my laptop, I really like my iPad and I carry in my purse always.  I will turn around and go back home to retrieve my iPad if I forget it at school or home.  The iPad has keyboard in it's screen and an external keyboard.  I use both depending on the place, situation and area.  The iPad does everything that the electric typewriter, word processor and laptop (except I haven't figured out how to submit my assignments to Turnin with the iPad).

Reference:
Thronburg, D (Producer) (n.d.) Rhymes of History (Video Pdcast) Laureate Education, Inc.

3 comments:

  1. That is great that you posted the progression of the technology. There are many things each new gadget replaces or makes obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    My iPad, too, has pretty much replaced my laptop. With the wireless keyboard attached, I can do almost as much, although cutting and pasting (i.e. in MSWord or Excel) are difficult and more cumbersome. You're correct in that the Kindle replaced the requirement to carry loads of books (magazines, newspapers, etc.) around; however, the iPad replaces so much more - if all of it's many features and apps are accessed.

    Best,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    Well, if I am not mistaken, you need adobe air for email and turnitin and iPad's are not compatible with adobe. If I am wrong please let me know because I would love to start using my iPad for school.
    Brigit

    ReplyDelete