Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Module 6 Blog


Learning in a Digital World

               Learning is something that is based on rituals and routines.  I recognize this because as I learn, I go back over previous lessons, materials, textbooks, web sites and other information in order to complete my lessons.  When something new is put into the mix, it makes learning difficult because my natural order is put into disarray.  This could be because I am a very kinetics and visual learner.

Technology helps me with my learning because I also have dyslexia.  I learn better when I can write out what I am learning and keep everything in one place.  The material does not move or fall out of my hands; it is right there for me to look at. Technology also provides a certain ritual to my learning.

As an online learner, I do not feel as self conscious, although I do imagine personalities as I read answers. I can immediately read answers and provide an answer; it provides a constancy that cannot be broken. Online learning also makes me more responsible for my learning because I am the one who has to turn on the computer and do more than if I am actually going to the school itself.  I compare what my daughter does on a daily basis.  I think that she spends as much time traveling as I do reading each day.  In addition, she is less likely to email her instructor than she is to go and speak to her instructor.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,

    Taking online classes was initially a huge transition for me. It requires much more responsibility for your own learning. It's important to know how you learn best, so that you know how to best manage your assignments. For example, I know that if I do not take notes on what I read, I will lose focus and not retain the information. I find that I prefer not to use technology to complete many tasks for my courses, like reading and taking notes. At the same time, I rely on technology to complete writing assignments, contribute to discussion boards, and interact through blog posts. Do you think technology has a bigger role in your learning due to your participation in online learning?

    ReplyDelete